WELCOME TO THE HSCL PARENTS PAGE!
I hope you all had a wonderful summer! If you are a parent new to the school you are most warmly welcome! Keep an eye on this page for upcoming coffee mornings,PARENTS CLASSES etc . This is a great way to meet other parents, some of which will be new like yourself. Another good idea is to organise play dates for your children with a child from his/her class. This will help your child (and you!) to settle into the school community.
FRIENDSHIP WEEK IS COMING UP! (SEPT 30-0CT 4)
I have three canvasses in my HSCL office if any parent would like to work with their child to paint a picture with the theme of Friendship.I will display them in the Parents Room.A lovely idea would be two famillies two work together on this and incorporate it as part of a playdate.
PARENTS/GRANDPARENTS TRIP TO KILMAINHAM NOV 15-CONTACT ELIZABETH TO BOOK A PLACE
Tips for Parents of Junior Infant children:
- Children need plenty of rest after the excitement of school. Make sure they go to bed early.
- Show a continued interest in whats happening in his/her daily adventures.Listen to all the stories but don’t pester your child with questions.
- Try not to compare your child with other children especially while he/she is listening.
- Be careful not to criticise the Teacher in the child’s presence as it might demotivate the child.
- When it comes to homework-plenty of patience and praise is needed!
- Children may forget to give you important messages , so please check their school bag daily.
- www.schooldays.ie is a good website, as is helpmykidlearn.ie
- Walk or cycle to/ from school if at all possible. The fresh air and exercise will help your child concentrate better in the mornings and it will re-energise your child after a long day in school.
- Remember to label everything clearly from pencil cases to jumpers and coats, as they can and will go missing!
- Please see link below on tips for teaching your child independence
Finally, enjoy your child’s first year in Harold’s Cross National School!
- Doing practical and fun MATHS problems /activities with your children at home and when your out and about, is a great way to solidify the work that is being done in school. For example , do a number search: Create a chart that lists the numbers from 0-50. Get the kids to shade the numbers in when they spot them on way to school,in the shops etc. Write down words that have numbers in them ( open seven days a week etc)
SOME HEALTHY LUNCH BOX IDEAS:
- Day one:Small break-yogurt, plum. Big break-tuna wrap with mix pepper and sweetcorn.
- Day two: Small break-pear,milk. Big break-pasta salad with chicken-chick peas.
- Day three: Small break -mixed veg sticks and hummus. Big break-pitta pocket with cheese , lettuce and relish. fruit salad.
- The key is to introduce variety and keep lunches interesting.Involve your child in preparing the lunch(this might save you time in the long run). Drinks should be milk or water and encourage your child to drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.
Please note that we have a no nut policy in school due to allergies.
I have some leaflets and a small number of recipe books in the parent’s room for more healthy food ideas. If you would like to donate some healthy recipe books to the parents library , we would be delighted!
LETS REDUCE OUR SCREEN TIME:
- COUNT how many hours your child is spending on the screen (including television)
- REDUCE the amount of time your child spends on screens gradually
- MONITOR the content
- Encourage PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES/HOBBIES to replace amount of time spent on screens
- Take out the BOARD GAMES for rainy days
- Join the LIBRARY
- Encourage screen free PLAY DATES
Role of the Home School Liaison Teacher:
The aim of the Home School Community Liaison (HSCL) is to promote partnership between home, school and the community and to ensure that every family participates fully in the school scheme. Harold’s Cross NS recognises the role of parents as the primary educators of their children, the influence of the home environment and seeks to promote a partnership between school and parents and the local community.
- The HSCL teacher is available to discuss on a personal level, matters of concern with parents .
- Listen,encourage, support and offer suggestions on how parents can support their children.
- Offer free courses for parents.
- Offer one to one support to parents on how to get the best from their child’s learning.
SECONDARY SCHOOL OPEN DAYS-SIXTH CLASS PARENTS PLEASE NOTE
- DRIMNAGH CASTLE, SEPT 19
- THE HIGH SCHOOL, SEPT 19,6.30-8PM
- DE LA SALLE COLLEGE, SEPT 24 , 3-7PM
- MARIAN COLLEGE, SEPT 26, 5.30 AND 7PM
- ST LOUIS HIGH SCHOOL, OCT 3 , 3.30-6.30
- TERENURE COLLEGE, OCT 5 AND OCT 12, 10.30-12.15
- GREENHILLS COLLEGE, OCT 13, 2-4PM
- TEMPLEOGUE COLLEGE, NOV 21, 1.45PM