WELCOME TO THE HSCL PAGE!
MAIDIN CAIFE!!!!(IRISH COFFEE MORNING)!! COME TO THE PARENTS ROOM ON TUESDAY MARCH 12 AT 8.30, TO PRACTISE YOUR CUPLA FOCAIL OR JUST COME FOR THE COFFEE AND MS BROPHY’S FAMOUS LEMON DRIZZLE CAKE!
THANK YOU !!! TO VERONICA , SUMAQ AND THEIR PARENTS ( FROM FIFTH CLASS), WHO HAVE GENEROUSLY PAINTED A BEAUTIFUL SIGN FOR THE PARENTS ROOM. IT IS ALMOST FINISHED AND WE ARE ALL LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING IT BRIGHTEN UP THE PARENTS ROOM. THANKS AGAIN GIRLS!
Thank you to all who attended and/or contributed to the BARNARDOS COFFEE MORNING.
PARENTS TRIP!!Tour of Rathfarnham castle and park, Thursday March 14 , departing from ( to be decided) at 9am, back before 1pm. Tea/coffee and scones provided ! 5 Euro. Text me at 0831280052 if you are interested.
PARENTS COURSE STARTING: March 1 in Loreto Senior for 6 weeks. Come to the information morning on Feb 14 at 9am to find out more.
Stuck inside on a rainy day? Get a magazine and ask your child to find people in it. Get them to cut out arms from one person, legs from another person and a head from somebody else. Then get your scrapbook and create a new person using all of the parts from different people. Ask your child to think of a name and story for the person they ve just created. (from helpmykids learn.ie)
TRY THIS MATHS ACTIVITY WITH YOUR KIDS! (INFANTS) : At the table- How many people are there? How many knives/forks/plates do we need? Where does the knife/fork go (right,left)? D we have enough/too many? How will we share the sausages evenly?
If you are a parent new to the school you are warmly welcome! Keep an eye on this page for upcoming coffee mornings, walks etc . This is a great way to meet other parents, some of which will be new like yourself. Another good idea is to organise play dates for your children with a child from his/her class. This will help your child (and you!) to settle into the school community.
To keep you and your family active and healthy this term, check out the HCNS Get Active newsletter below. Click on the link . If you cannot access it, call into me in my office and I will photocopy a hard copy for you.I also have a copy posted on the notice board outside , beside the infant entrance.
Healthy eating tips (From Bord Bia) : Use smaller plates or dessert bowls and slim glasses to control portion sizes.
See link below for brochure of adult classes in Crumlin College
Tips for Parents of Junior Infant children:
- Children need plenty of rest after the excitement of school. Make sure they go to bed early.
- Show a continued interest in whats happening in his/her daily adventures.Listen to all the stories but don’t pester your child with questions.
- Try not to compare your child with other children especially while he/she is listening.
- Be careful not to criticise the Teacher in the child’s presence as it might demotivate the child.
- When it comes to homework-plenty of patience and praise is needed!
- Children may forget to give you important messages , so please check their school bag daily.
- www.schooldays.ie is a good website, as is helpmykidlearn.ie
- Walk or cycle to/ from school if at all possible. The fresh air and exercise will help your child concentrate better in the mornings and it will re-energise your child after a long day in school.
- Remember to label everything clearly from pencil cases to jumpers and coats, as they can and will go missing!
Finally, enjoy your childs first year in Harolds Cross National School!
FREE COMMUNITY COURSES In various locations in Dublin 6,8 and 12. contact The Lifelong Learning Team at 0861438709/014732169. Internet safety, Empowering parents,Mindfulness and meditation,Bootcamp and much more
PARENTS CLASSES IN THE COMMUNITY
Art Classes in Scoil Iosagain (the art room) – Wednesdays from 9.30-11.30am. All abilities welcome. contact Orla on 085-7141639
Baby Book Club Tuesday mornings in Loreto Senior School Library 9.15-10am. Suitable for 0-4 year olds.
Zumba with Louise! Tuesdays at 8.30 in the Harolds Cross NS hall. Fun guaranteed! All fitness levels welcome.
Circuit training on Thursdays – Harolds Cross NS hall at 8.30. All abilities welcome.
Cookery classes in St Kevins-Friday mornings 10-12.
Role of the Home School Liaison Teacher:
The aim of the Home School Community Liaison (HSCL) is to promote partnership between home, school and the community and to ensure that every family participates fully in the school scheme. Harold’s Cross NS recognises the role of parents as the primary educators of their children, the influence of the home environment and seeks to promote a partnership between school and parents and the local community.
- The HSCL teacher is available to discuss on a personal level, matters of concern with parents .
- Listen,encourage, support and offer suggestions on how parents can support their children.
- Offer free courses for parents.
- Offer one to one support to parents on how to get the best from their child’s learning.